Pages

Wednesday 8 January 2020

Summer Learning Journey Week 4 Day 4 Activity 2

Activity 2: Try Your Own Tapa [4 points]
Fatu Feu’u is a Samoan artist who lives in Aotearoa/New Zealand. He is mostly known for being a painter but he also creates sculptures, pottery, prints and glass works.
As an artist, Fatu Feu’u is primarily influenced by tapa cloth (siapo) patterns from Samoa, as well as tatau (tattoo), weaving, carving, and mask designs.
Many Pacific Islands have their own versions of tapa cloth. In Tonga it is called the ngatu, in Fiji - the masi, in Niue - the hiapo, in the Cook Islands - the tapa, and in Hawaii - the kapa. You can learn more about tapa cloth here.

For this activity please create your own tapa cloth design. You can draw your design on paper or using a drawing app such as Google Draw.
On your blog, post an image (photo or screenshot) or your tapa design and describe what each part of your picture represents (means).
My Tapa

Top flag is the lithuanian one, I put it in the Tapa because I am from Lithuania, my mums side.
Middle flag is the Italian flag, I put that flag there because I was born in Italia.
Bottom flag is the NZ flag, I put that flag there Because I come from NZ, My 's side.

3 comments:

  1. Nice tapa design Lukas...Tapa cloth (or simply tapa) is a barkcloth made in the islands of the Pacific Ocean, primarily in Tonga, Samoa and Fiji, but as far afield as Niue, Cook Islands, Futuna, Solomon Islands, Java, New Zealand, Vanuatu, Papua New Guinea and Hawaii (where it is called kapa).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Lukas,

    What a great tapa cloth you have designed, you have done an amazing job.I can see a few country flags in there. I really like how you have created a tapa cloth that represents you and your family.What drawing app did you use to create your tapa cloth? Google Drawings?

    Blog ya later!

    Dani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I used google drawings. Thx Dani for commenting on my blog!

      Kind Regards
      Lukas

      Delete