Pages

Tuesday 31 December 2019

Summer Learning Journey Week 3 Day 2 Activity 3

Activity 3: Hidden Figures [6 points]

Ada Lovelace, born in 1815, is considered to be the ‘first computer programmer’, even though computers had not yet been invented. She was called a computer programmer because she worked out a series of algorithms (instructions) that a machine could use to compute (calculate) difficult maths questions.
Katherine Johnson was another brilliant mathematician who worked with NASA - the North American Space Association. NASA was responsible for sending rockets and people into space. It was Katherine’s job to check all of the calculations that the engineers and astronauts used when designing the spacecraft and flying them into space. In 2016, a movie was made about Katherine Johnson and the other women who worked at NASA during this time. It is called ‘Hidden Figures.’ In the movie, the women had to learn how to do basic coding when NASA started using computers.
Have you ever tried coding?

For this activity we would like you to give coding a try. Click on the link for the website: code.org. If you try an activity and it is too easy, try a harder level!
On your blog, post a screenshot of your completed shape. Underneath the shape tell us what you thought of the coding app. Is it good? Why/why not?
I liked it because I have to use maths to draw the shape, and maths is my favourite subject.

2 comments:

  1. Nice coding Lukas - you should check out https://www.grinchhourofcode.com/. It's really fun and very festive! Keep blogging, and commenting on others, to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome prizes and to keep up your learning over the school break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Lukas,

    Well done on creating a diamond shape on code.org! I tried code.org out last week and I didn’t realise how hard it was to draw, I didn’t know I needed to use degrees! It was definitely a learning curve for me. Have you used code.org before? I haven’t and neither has my class, we have used the Scratch app though.

    I look forward to reading more of your blog posts soon!

    Blog ya later,

    Dani

    ReplyDelete