Pages

Tuesday 31 December 2019

Summer Learning Journey Week 3 Day 2 Activity 2

Activity 2: Overcoming Adversity [4 points]
Stephen Hawking (1942-2018) was an English scientist who was interested in studying the origin (beginning) of the universe. When he was just 21 years old, he was diagnosed with Motor Neuron Disease and, over time, he lost the ability to walk and talk. He needed to use a wheelchair to move around and a computer to help him to talk. The computer made his voice sound a bit funny but, most importantly, it meant he could still communicate with people.
Despite his diagnosis, Stephen Hawking lived a long and very productive life. He showed great determination and perseverance because he didn’t let his physical challenges stop him. He didn’t quit. Instead, he ‘overcame the odds’ and achieved a huge amount in his life.
For this activity, we would like to hear about a time when you, or someone you know, experienced a challenge and overcame it.
On your blog, recount a time when you or someone you know experienced a challenge and overcame it.
Once when I was 10 I got a really bad cut next from hitting my head on a wooden stair thing, and my eye had to be stitched. When I got the cut I coulden't feel it or the blood so when I went to look in the mirror I got a big shock that made me cry which made my dad come over and my dad took me to the hospital and told the doctor. I felt really scared because of the needle they where going to stitch my cut. After the stitching I felt all better and ok it wasn't bad at all.

2 comments:

  1. Well done on posting and participating in the SLJ this year Lukas, I really like the narrative you shared about being brave... sometimes being brave can be tricky too, I'm glad you enjoyed the courage you showed! Keep blogging, and commenting on others, to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome prizes and to keep up your learning over the school break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Lukas,

    Thank you for sharing your story. I know sometimes it can be very scary to suddenly see blood. I experienced the same thing when I was 17, I was on a scooter and I was racing a friend and I cut the side of my ankle without knowing on the side of the scooter. I was very confused about why my white sock was now pink! I think overcoming challenges helps shape people and you become more resilient ( being able to recover from challenges or difficulty). I hope you haven’t had to deal with any challenges this holidays. Are you looking forward to going back to school?

    Blog ya later,

    Dani

    ReplyDelete